Crysis 2 : Invasion (Mod)
-Level Design Walkthrough-
“Invasion” is a user created single player level designed for Crysis 2. The player plays as Alcatraz, the main character, in the recently destroyed New York City. On the instruction of Dr. Nathan Gould, Alcatraz goes towards the Alien crash site, on a New York City street. CELL soldiers who patrol the street expect an imminent Ceph attack. Over the course of the level, the player fights CELL soldiers, Alien enemies and finally fights an Alien Gunship with aid from a wide range of weapons. The level ends with the player evacuating the area after deactivating the Spear Module standing in the crash site.
Area 1 : NYC Street
- Script and introduce Fluid AI movement between cover
- Manual scripting to allow AI movement on another soldier's death or movement towards the player to work as a team
- Immerse the player in the environment
- Use triggered events for falling debris and AI killing infected civilians
a. Collapsed Freeway Section
- Combat encounter uses Shotgun and Assault Rifle enemy type to increase challenge
- The shotgun enemy types aggressively get close to the player whereas the assault rifle enemies provide cover fire
- As some soldiers die, more soldiers come in to take their place fluidly
- Crysis 2 stays away from showing destroyed buildings up-close. In most cases do, pre-destroyed building assets are used
- The use of intact building parts and rearranging them to give a destroyed look gave me the ability to have unique up-close destroyed buildings
- The use of decals on these buildings significantly enhanced this effect. As I recognized this early, I allotted adequate time to ensure the level of visual polish is high
- Use the rule of thirds to help set up the visual piece
b. Alien Crash Site
Wave Based Combat Encounters
1. CELL soldiers and Alien Grunts
2. Alien Heavy + Grunts
3. Alien Grunts
4. Alien Gunship + Grunts
- Scripted Alien Gunship attack and movement patterns
- Gunship is given a timed targeting mechanism to target the player's location. The gunship takes 5 seconds to launch missiles at that targeted location. This is highlighted by a distinct sound and pause in the gunship's movement.
- Gunship also has a primary shooting attack to pin the player down
- Gunship's movement path is circular around the central spear tube, ensuring no singular hiding spot. This ensures a frantic combat finale.
- The section for the final fight revolved around dividing the whole play space into subsections
- Giving the player objectives to move around the area to familiarize them with the layout before this encounter. This ensured that the player felt well equipped.
- Objectives encouraged the player to move around play space to find pickups such as special weapons and ammo
- Learning the Circular playspace
- The enemy waves encourage players to move around the playspace finding ammo, special weapons such as C4, RPGs or Heavy Machine Guns (HMG)
- The player transverses the same playspace to fight the upcoming Alien Gunship